Monday, July 4, 2011

High Sierras Part II - mile 908

Finished up the second big section of the Sierras moving from Kearsarge pass into Red Meadows and Mammoth and I'm STUFFED.  Great breakfast at The Stove (gravy on everything) big ol' BBQ spot, a little pizza here and there, and just got done with the Mexican.  Yeah.  Food has become really important.  Maybe it's going over a pass every day... maybe it's the cold weather we ran into... maybe it's the tortuous rationing going on during these long sections... but this boy's gotta eat a lot and has been doing a pretty good job.  Helping speed that process along and providing good company and tasty beverages has been my cousin Mike (trail named "Cousin Mike" or "cus" for short) who came from his new spot on the west coast.  It's been a good and lazy time recovering from lots of big walking.

So every day in the Sierras involves some of the biggest adventure I've ever been involved in.  Big passes and lots of snow walking.  Forester was exciting and all but the days only got more intense down the trail.  More snow (Muir, Pinchot) steeper slopes (Mather), and lush lush canyons (Palisades).  Then the big water crossings that at 6'2" I do alright in but can be exciting bringing my 5'1" friend through (you're a champ Bubbs).  It's hard to do the walking and the landscape justice.  You all will have to wait for the photos I'll post on my week long hiatus to NYC for my sister's wedding - crazy culture shock.

After getting over all the 12 granders we took a "wrong turn" coming down silver pass and wound up in fish creek.  We had big plans to hop on a different trail to get back to the PCT at Purple Lake but when we got to the junction a mind-bending sign said PCT right, Red's Meadows left!  Left?!  We don't have maps that go left!  Whatever, that's where we're going.  If going right was the "right" way to Red's Meadows the sign would point that way.  The fish creek trail was gorgeous!  Awesome river, beautiful cliffs on the canyon, a warm bivy spot off some switchbacks looking over it all.  Love it.

So from here it's another longer section through Yosemite to Sonoran pass.  The elevations drop but word along the trail is that the rivers are gonna get big.  We'll sort it all out.  Boots and Bubbs are gonna hang in town for another day while I run off with Spicerack so I can catch my flight in Reno on the 12th for a whole different kind of adventure.  Town has been good but I'm ready to get back on the trail.  I'll catch you all up from the big apple.

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait for the pictures I bet you have seen alot of beautiful sunrises and sunsets.I think of you everyday when I'm walking past the nicest part of my daily hike,the view of the mountains around the lake . Take care Paul. Love,Aileen

    ReplyDelete