Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Marathons, My Lady, and Magic in the Mountains - mile 487

OK. So it's been a while since my last post. Let me see if I can bring you up to speed. Man a lot has happened in the last 2 weeks!

I got the feet all fixed up in Big Bear to the point where I could walk well with a little moleskin and some tape. It would take about 10 days to get my pads back to a solid state but from Big Bear on they only got better. I took a little look at maps and decided I'd have to boot scoot ahead of my crowd to go see about a lady in Agua Dulce in two Saturdays. The big plan was to be able to meet Leigh at the trail angels' house there (the Saufleys) and then take a couple days off the trail with her so that when I got back on, the folks I'd been traveling with would have caught up and we could all continue on happily together. In order to get it done I started stringing marathon days together. A 25 mile pace would get me to Wrightwood in 4 days (and land me at the McDonalds at I-15 for dinnertime the day before town). Suddenly walking became athletic - days were filled with strategies, mile markers, timed intervals. The goal was to get around 15 miles done between 6am and 1pm so that I could take a couple hours off the trail (after the foot fiasco I decided never again to walk between 1 and 3) and then knock out the last ten in the afternoon. A whole new style of walking. Here are the pros:
-getting places FAST
-feeling like miles are blowing by
-sense of accomplishment

Here are the cons:
-feeling like I have a schedule
-keeping my head down and not looking around
-not seeing many folks
-being in a rush: I ain't just walking anymore
-missing out on stuff - skipped the hot spring I later discovered a good friend of mine from CT was hanging at

That all being said I wanted to meet my lady and whether I liked it or not I was motivated to get the 200 miles or so between Big Bear and where we'd meet done quick. I did a quick one day in and out in Wrightwood to take care of my restock and rocket out of town to get the last 90 miles or so done and done. Along the way I ran into a buddy Roadrunner who felt like moving quick and we all partnered up on our way to Wrightwood. Traveling with someone helped the ol' motivation and we were in Ague Dulce a half day before planned.

Alright that brings us to trail angel house numero uno - the Saufleys. I rolled up around noon on FRIDAY and within minutes my laundry was getting done, I got my shower in, and I was hanging with fellow hikers drinking my beers and hanging out with hikers trying not to anxiously await my lady's arrival. The Saufleys themselves were out of town but a team of four or five regional trail angels were running the show - taking care of laundry, running a full on post office, keeping the place clean, making runs to the trail and into town. The place was run like a well oiled machine. Judging by the canvas tents in the yard alone FEMA could take a few tips from these folks on keeping the homeless and underfed happy.

Around 3 Leigh showed up and we both realized that home was just an hour and a half's drive away. After walking for a month to get there it was hard to imagine being so close to home. We hopped in the car and cruised out hitting up the REI on the way. After moving at a walking pace for so long driving was FUN. Got home and enjoyed a couple days of loving, eating, productivity (organized mail drops, sewed a stuff sack, bought new shoes, put my soaked camera in for repairs...) hanging with the cat, and more eating. On Sunday we went back to the Saufleys so I could show off my Lady to my new found friends and find a funny motel outside of town to crash at before hitting the trail in the morning.

Leigh and I said our goodbyes and it was back on the trail reunited with my hiker friends and with a days walk to trail angel house numero dos - Casa De Luna: the Andersons. For those of us that were anxious to start drinking beer, their cache 8 miles before the road was well appreciated. If the Saufleys is on the business side of thru hiking (laundry, mail, showers, trail updates, etc.) the Andersons bring the party. This place is hotel california at its best. The beers are flowing, the food comes in quantity, the rules are few, and the shinanigans are endless (missed out on the chocolate syrup wrestling this year). Those who arrive are quickly confronted with a hug and a cold one. You can check out anytime you like - but you will never leave. Some folks get sucked in big time to the fun-at-all-hours lifestyle and wind up spending weeks here. As long as you pick up your empties, let the new folks eat first, and contribute to the good times you're welcome to stay as long as you like. On night one someone handed me a guitar and Mr. F-in Gentle Spririt pulled out his band in a box - drums, trumpet, harmonic... we were jammin all night long. The sing alongs were many around the fire and the next morning the taste of beer in my mouth told me I wouldn't be leaving anytime that day atleast. We put 8 miles on the trail that day doing a little slackpacking - when you unload your pack and get a ride up the trail so you can walk back with whatever you need for the day. I put 4 beers, 2 quarts of water, a snickers, and my first aid kit in a transformers backpack that was kicking around and we were on our way. It was a joyous stroll and we were psyched to land back at the casa for round two - a new crew of hikers and the party's on. That was last night. The sing along continued Bohemain Rapsodie being a big hit. Made some plans to leave (Terry Anderson wasn't fooled for a second - "yeah yeah... you're not going anywhere"). She was right. It's night three now and the crowd has only grown. Tonights gonna be a big one. Tomorrow we'll move on... atleast that's what we're saying. No rush to get to the Sierras... the snow's still gonna be there. I think we'll atleast get on the trail though. Plus we're already 8 miles down the road with our slacking around.

I hear the rucus getting on outside and I'm anxious to join up. It's only a couple more weeks to the Sierras! Snow time baby! I'm psyched to get up there and make it happen. The stories will abound. First we have a little more desert and a walk along the LA aquaduct. The trip continues...

3 comments:

  1. Looks like wildlife has turned into wild living!

    Enjoy but keep writing....we feast on your words!

    XXX
    M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! Sounds like fun times. Enjoy the ride!
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What is the beer per mile ratio? Have fun and always be careful.Love Dick and Aileen

    ReplyDelete