Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Found a Big Bear - mile 265

Alright!  Made it to Big Bear Lake (Big Bear City).  The last week has been a wild one.  Started off the section by taking a little loop off the trail to hit up Mt. San Jacinto.  This snow covered volcano was our first test at snow travel and navigation.  The trail to the top was easy enough to follow but the way down was a good game of point and shoot.  The view from the top looking over Palm Springs, I-10, San Gorgonio, and the desert we came out of was icing on top of our big ol' adventure cake.  We were the only crowd that went for the peak that day and we all came down the got over fuller ridge with the sense of accomplishment floating us over the last snowy sections. 

The next day was a learning experience!  We all had about 15 miles of sun scorched hillside to get down to drop 6,500 feet into the windswept valley just outside of Cabazon, CA.  I got stubborn and wanted to get down that thing as quick as possible and wound up pushing it in the hottest part of the day.  By the end of day my feet looked like I'd put them through the toaster - three big ol' blisters right on the bottom of both feet and the rest red and tender.  Bad idea!  The rest of my crew pushed through the windy valley and slept under I-10 (where they found beers, burgers, and a crowd of hurtin' hikers).  I decided to tuck in close to the ridge to try to get out of the wind (we all found out they have big windfarms there for a reason) and nursed my feet a little bit.  The last 4 days of the section involved a lot of hobbling around (it's called the "hiker hobble" around here).  My ankles are a little upset from tiptoeing around the trail trying to stay off the sore spots but I was still able to push a couple of 20 mile days.  A slow pace had me arriving into camp after dark but with some cabins built at one camp and a quick hitch at rt. 18 into town both days were well worth it.  Now that I'm in town I'm doing Epson soaks and lots of rest to get the pads back in shape.  It's working out well.

Folks are freaking out because we're getting a little weather out here.  (I thought it never rained in SoCal!)  Us east coasters are laughing all the way to the next town.  A little sleet won't keep us inside! 

A little shout-out to trail angels at whitewater preserve.  Rolled into there a day after the foot roast and was psyched to see an ice cold wading pool and dogs, burgers, pasta salad, roasted chicken, THE WORKS thanks to Buck-30 and Kay.

OK!  We're going to head out of town this afternoon but here's where I'll probably be in the coming couple of weeks and addresses you can reach me.

General Delivery, Wrightwood, CA 92397 5/23 <--- a little later than before so OK to send mail

c/o The Saufleys 11861 Darling rd., Agua Dulce, CA 91390

Remember to check out the how-to on mailing before sending anything.  Talk to ya'll in a bit!

1 comment:

  1. Ouch on the footsies.....learned a lesson, didya?

    You have followers of your blog in France now..an international PCT star!

    Mucho love to the Lopez kid....

    ReplyDelete