Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Maildrops: a how-to

Sweet!  So I'm about to head off.  Here is the official info on how to mail me stuff along the trail. First the logistical nitty gritty:

Most of the places I'll grab boxes from are post offices (as opposed to businesses or UPS centers).  If you're shipping me something in a box via a post office ALWAYS send it Priority Mail.  It'll only take 5 days tops to get there and it won't get lost.  If you're sending me a letter you can send it by regular first class.  As I go I'll list towns that I'll be stopping into and when I'll be there.  My plans are always a rough estimate so best to have it arrive a few days before my actual ETA.  The post office will hold packages for about 2 weeks from the listed ETA. Here's how to address it:

My Name (unless you've made other hiking friends who are more important to you)
General Delivery
Town, State Zip Code

THEN on the bottom left corner of the box write "Hold for PCT hiker ETA: date"

Things to consider:
-if you send me a package to a USPS general delivery address via UPS I won't get it!
-if you send me a package and require a signature I won't get it!
-if you send me a package via first class or parcel post most likely,  I won't get it!


Sometimes I'll pick stuff up at businesses that only accept UPS.  I'll note these spots as I go. Here's how to address those:

My Name
c/o name of business
complete address
town, state zip

"Hold for PCT hiker ETA: date"

SURPRISES ARE FUN WHEN YOU CAN FIND THEM!!
As much as I love a good surprise, if I don't know your box is coming then I'm not going to look for it (and may not even stop at that post office).  Please email me or leave a voice mail at least a week before I get there letting me know what to look for and where.

Imagine a sea of boxes.  Now imagine finding the little one that Mom said would be there filled with your favorite cookies.  Now imagine not being able to look for that box but having to direct an overworked and underpayed government employee.  SHIT!  Please, LABEL YOUR BOXES WELL.  Write my name all over it or cover it in glitter glue or reuse that cheesy gift box that you got last x-mas.  Whatever it is, just make it obvious and tell me about all the flare so I can help out the nice folks behind the counter.

Phew!  Never thought is was going to be that tricky eh?  Here's a little bit on what (not) to send me:

OK.  So I'm gonna be in the woods (or desert or mountains) with everything I own on my back.  Thus whatever you send me I either need to consume immediately, bring along for the ride, mail home, or trash.  Here are some examples:

My sis sent me homemade fruit and nut bars... NICE! Eatin' some now and saving the rest for later!
My old college buddy sent me 2 liters of whiskey... taking a celebratory slug, passing it around, and then dramatically sobbing while I drain the rest into the gutter.
My family friend sent me a full sized photo album of that time I visited last spring... cursing while I wait in line and spend the 10 bucks to send it home
My brother sent me a couple small photos of my nieces and nephews... taking them along for the ride.

You get the idea.  Trail snacks are always welcome and letters always appreciated.

That's all.  Later today I'll write a send off post and list my first town or two.  Thanks in advanced for all the support, love, and presents that may come my way!

1 comment:

  1. Fruit and nut bars! I'm sensing a subliminal message here... On it!

    ReplyDelete