Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Catchup

OK!  Here's the skinny on what's been going on during my unemployed months outside Santa Barbara while I wait for my hike to begin.  It's gonna be a big one but I know that TOGETHER we can do this...

PIMP MY BOOKS
**********************
The first thing I did when I moved out to where Leigh was already living, in sunny Goleta, CA was build a bookshelf to accomodate the piles of books that had accumulated around the house.  The deal was that if the bookshelf could hold all of her books, then the desk was mine.  HA!  Mission accomplished (until Leigh bought more books).
 

PIMP MY FAMILY-STYLE CONDO
***************************************

I got a little bored after the bookshelf was done but luckily our friend Leva was looking to do a little home improvement herself and brought me onboard.  When all was said and done I painted a couple of rooms, built a brick "wall" and sanded and refinished some furniture.
PIMP MY TENT
*********************
Meanwhile, I've been getting ready for my big hike on the PCT which has involved a lot of gear shopping, trial hikes, physical conditioning, trail research, and SEWING!  Yes, I've been sucked into the light and fast movement enough to dust off Leigh's grandmother's old Singer and give gear production a shot.  The biggest endeavor has been a bug bivy I modeled off of MLD's Serenity Shelter.  This being my first attempt at flat-felled seams, zipper installment, and slippery plastic fabrics, the sewing on the bivy is nothing short of sloppy... but I think it'll hold.  Here are some shots of the bivy combined with the tarp my folks got me from Oware for my b-day (thanks Mom and Dad).
That's the lovely Lady Leigh trying out my new home.  I also put together a silnylon drysac with a roll-top closure that I'm pretty psyched about:
PIMP MY PATIO
*********************
Leigh's been rocking out on our little patio space - putting in raised beds for veggies, planting flower boxes, and getting a herb gardens started.  My only additions have been the platform I pulled out of my old home (ie. car), a chair back to make it look like it belonged, and a new Meyer Lemon Tree I've been promising Leigh since New Years.

 
CLIMB TIME
*******************
Part of my "rigorous training" has been to get as much time at the climbing gym as possible - the idea being that the more climbing muscles I can develop, the more I'll have when I get back after they've all atrophied during my hike.  I've mostly been climbing inside, but while Leigh's cousin Megan was here we all went out with a friend Heather to Gibraltar rock up in the hills.

Heather rocking out
Leigh climbing way higher than she's ever decided to before!


Megan starting her climb.
Gibraltar 

HIKING TRYOUTS
************************
Every couple of weeks or so I've been trying to hit the trails to get a feel for my new set-up and in general the next 5 months of my life.  Here are some shots from a hike through Blue Canyon just north of Santa Barbara.

THE DAY TO DAY
************************
Other than the projects and adventures my days have been filled with playing with the cat, biking around town, and enjoying sunsets on the beach with Leigh.  Not bad for an otherwise purposeless existence.  It sure as hell ain't Indiana.  One night Leigh and I got super crazy and whipped out the fancy bubbly my folks regifted us to motivate one shnazy sunset picnic. 
This is with red-eye correction.  It's the evil inside him
Here's part of the view from our sunset spot






3 comments: